Sunday, July 19, 2020

Taking Ownership

I apologize. I've missed a couple of weeks here. Work and life got overly busy. Things are shifting and changing is a very positive way.





I went to dinner with a friend the other night and we were having this beautiful conversation. The topic turned to taking ownership of your life. 

This year has been insane! However, in the midst of the insanity, I have found peace. Peace with myself and who I am. I have taken ownership of so many things this year.



First of all, my age. I am 48 and I am owning it. I don't look it. I don't act it. I don't dress the part. I am 48 and am loving every minute of this age. I'm still more comfortable in jeans and t-shirts with my feet bare. My hair is multi-colored, but it suits my personality...or so I'm told. I've released inhibitions that I've carried for years and I feel freer than ever.



Secondly, my body. I'm not the pretty sort of curvy that most people think of. Gravity has carried my breasts a little further south than I'd like. There's more tummy than I want to think about. And there are lines around my eyes that are relatively new. However, I still get called things like "beautiful", "yummy", and "perfect". This body has carried me through some amazing times and some really bad times. I wear the same size pants I wore in high school and my shirts are only slightly bigger than they were 30 years ago. I need to be damn proud of that.



And lastly, this life I'm being blessed with. It has definitely taken a turn that I never saw coming. I've ended up in some crazy places with even crazier people. However, there was a song we used to sing in church when I was a kid and it talked about showers of blessings. I never dreamed that this song would apply to my life. Things have changed and I am being showered in an abundance of blessings. Instead running for shelter and waiting for the storm to pass, I am dancing in the blessings, letting each one touch me. After all, I deserve to be blessed, too.



We can all agree that 2020 is not the year we were hoping it would be. Like my previous post stated, it is the year we needed. Step into yourself. Own who you are. Own the life you've been given. We only get one go around. Why spend it looking for the other shoe to drop or mourning over the body you had 30 years ago? Love it. Embrace it. Own it! Who cares what society thinks? Who are you harming by loving yourself? 

No comments: